Thursday, November 19, 2009

Replicating Master Artists

Hi. These are some artworks that I "replicated" in some of my classes. All of these were fun to recreate. Doing so helped me learn new ways and styles to draw and paint. It also helped me appreciate these artists even more.


This is a copy of part of Cezanne's Still Life with Peppermint Bottle. I painted it this past summer in a Beginners Painting class that I took at SCC. What's great about him is how he adds certain colors in weird places like green, blue, and yellow in the fabric. I would have never noticed that if I hadn't painted it myself. Doing this helped me to understand Impressionist painters more.


This one is a copy of part of a Michelangelo study for the Libyan Sibyl. I did this one very recently, like this past week, in Intermediate Drawing at SAC. This was mostly a simple sketch, but I like how Michelangelo created beautiful faces with a bunch of lines.


This is a drawing of Bernini's Ecstasy of Saint Theresa statue. I also did this one in Intermediate Drawing at SAC. It took a lot longer to draw. The proportions were more difficult because her head is tilted back. Also, I did continuous shading so it took forever. But it was worth it. Bernini practically creates actual fabric in this sculpture.


No comments:

Post a Comment